Scholarships and Student Jobs

MU-Geology Field Camp Scholarships

Several scholarships in the range of $400 to $1000 each are available to all students attending camp. Minimum grade point requirements for a scholarship are a 3.4 overall GPA and a minimum 3.4 GPA in all geology courses completed.

How to Apply for a Scholarship

Applications can be made by mail or email to Dr. Nathan Hopkins, field camp director (see mailing address and email on the Contact page), and be accompanied by:

  • Official transcripts for all of your college coursework (multiple schools if necessary), they can be emailed directly to Dr. Hopkins
  • A letter of reference from one or more of your geology professors (professors can email them directly to Dr. Hopkins)

No statement of financial need is required. The amount of the award depends on the quality and number of qualified applicants in a given year.

Scholarship applications are due by February 19th. Funds will be awarded by the end of February, after applications are reviewed.

MU-Geology Field Camp Student Jobs

Several student jobs are also available at the field camp. They include positions as:

  • Van drivers: ~$900 and waiver of the round trip Columbia-Lander travel/lodging fee
    • Requires departure from Columbia, MO and a return to Columbia.
    • Drivers must be over 21 years old
  • Dishwashers/kitchen help: ~$800, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours per evening
  • Sandwich makers: ~$800, about 1 hour Sun-Fri evening following dinner and two hours from 7:00-9:00 AM on Sunday morning

The number of jobs depends upon enrollment, but we may hire as many as 6 van drivers, 4 dishwashers and 2 sandwich makers.

How to Apply for a Student Job

If you are interested in applying for a job, please send us an e-mail indicating your job preference. Job offers are generally made on a first-come first-serve basis until all jobs are filled, but potential drivers with experience driving 12 or 15-passenger vans are given preference.

Other Forms of Financial Aid

The University of Missouri does not provide State or Federal financial aid to non-MU students.  However, if you are eligible for such programs through your college or University, you may be able to apply your institution's financial aid toward our course through a Visiting Student Consortium Agreement. Please contact MU’s Financial Aid Office for any questions regarding financial aid.