Scholarships and Student Jobs
MU-Geology Field Camp Scholarships
Several scholarships in the range of $400 to $1000 each are available to all students attending camp. Minimum grade point requirements for a scholarship are a 3.4 overall GPA and a minimum 3.4 GPA in all geology courses completed.
How to Apply
Applications can be made by mail or email to Dr. Miriam Barquero-Molina, field camp director (see mailing address and email on the Contact page), and be accompanied by:
- Official transcripts for all of your college coursework (multiple schools if necessary)
- A letter of reference from one or more of your geology professors (professors can email them directly to Dr. Barquero-Molina)
No statement of financial need is required. The amount of the award depends on the quality and number of qualified applicants in a given year.
Scholarship applications are due by February 15th. Funds will be awarded by the end of February, after applications are reviewed.
Several student jobs are also available at the field camp. They include positions as:
- Van drivers (~$700 and waiver of the round trip Columbia-Lander travel/lodging fee: requires departure from Columbia, MO and a return to Columbia. Van drivers must attend a two hour van safety presentation from our Environmental Health and Safety staff on Thursday afternoon prior to departing from Columbia on Friday morning.
- Dishwashers/kitchen help (~$600, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours per evening)
- Sandwich makers (~$600, about 1 hour Mon-Sat morning at 5:15 AM and two hours from 7:00-9:00 AM on Sunday morning)
The number of jobs depends upon enrollment, but we may hire as many as 6 van drivers, 4 dishwashers and 2 sandwich makers.
If you are interested in applying for a job, please send us an e-mail indicating your job preference. Job offers are generally made on a first-come first-serve basis until all jobs are filled, but potential drivers with experience driving 12 or 15-passenger vans are given preference.
The University of Missouri does not provide State or Federal financial aid to non-MU students. However, if you are eligible for such programs through your college or University, you may be able to apply your institution's financial aid toward our course through a Visiting Student Consortium Agreement. Please contact MU’s Financial Aid Office for any questions regarding financial aid.